Saturday 27 September 2014

How Not To Sleep


Hello, Internet
So for the last three nights I couldn't sleep.
I wake up at around 3am and can't go back to sleep until 5-6am
Today I couldn't get back to sleep AT ALL

Since 2:50am to now (7:30PM) I am wide awake
Now I have never been an excellent sleeper, but I am worried for my future as an insomniac, and until now I never realised how important sleep is for your body.
So here's a list of how sleep deprivation affects you (from my awful experiences)

  • If you are awake long enough, your kidneys start to hurt

Now for some of you, you'll probably be wondering, "Where the hell are my kidneys?" They are located behind your hips on the lower back and trust me, when they hurt, THEY HURT (tiny throbbing)

When this happened, I drank a glass of water to help filter out the pain, and went to the toilet (ok, you don't need to know ALL the details)

  • You are not tired

This may be strange, but the more sleep I get, the more drowsy I am during the day. However, it is not always like this. But for some reason, I was SO tired I wasn't even tired anymore, which was frustrating. So I simply gave up trying to sleep.

  • Fluttery heartbeat
All day (til now) my heart has been beating weakly and there's a choking sort of feeling in my chest (don't worry, i'm not dying!) This is because my heart is over-exhausted. I tried exercising, but that just tires your heart even more.

  • Waking up in the middle of the night and not going to sleep for 3-5 hours

This by far the worst because while everyone else is asleep, I am wide awake tossing and turning for 4 hours straight. Normally, I would be so exhausted during the night that it's easy to fall back, but these last few nights it takes effort to relax.

Okay, so I have just figured out why my sleep patterns have gone chaotic. Today I got my period, and I haven't got it for the last 8 months. Apparently, your sleeping patterns are affected dramatically just before your period. I hope from now on after the cycle is over I can return back to my normal sleeping habits. 

If you want to know more information how PMS is connected to sleep, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment